News

Cat dies and house damaged in Axedale Fire

by
July 18, 2017

HALF of a house was destroyed and a pet cat died in a fire at Axedale on Monday morning.


The blaze on Burns St started when a woman was lighting a wood fire and sparks ignited nearby firelighters. 


Firefighters were called to the address at 9am and it took four trucks 15 minutes to control the blaze. 
The fire is not being treated as suspicious. 


Bendigo CFA senior station officer Tim Bruechert said the part of the house not destroyed by flames suffered significant heat and smoke damage. 


“Two cats were inside at the time of the incident, but only was able to be saved from the fire,” he said. 


Mr Bruechert said fires caused by heaters were not uncommon during winter. 


“Certainly be very careful with your heaters, particularly when you’re starting them,” he said. 


“If gas or electric, heaters should be regularly serviced by a qualified technician.”
 

By
More in News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text